Protecting the Scheduled Historic Buildings and Monuments of Pembridge. A Registered Charity No 1060265

Pembridge the Village - Pembridge has clearly seen many changes since its inception. The village pre-dates the Domesday book. A community has existed at this place for over 1000 years. At one point in its history the village exceeded Leominster in size and was an important centre of commerce during the mediaeval period. Following the Industrial Revolution, Pembridge appeared to "fall off the map" and economic activity declined. The village was left alone to continue its rural traditions in relative isolation and, as a consequence, much of its medieval character remained unspoiled.

Market Hall Conservation Films Released

Pembridge the Village continued:

Following the successful completion of the conservation of the Market Hall in Pembridge at the end of May (on time and under budget) and the earlier project which examined the History and Heritage of Pembridge, Pembridge Amenity Trust have released a DVD of the work that was carried out showing both projects. They were shown for the first time to a packed a public meeting in the village hall when architect Sarah Butler of Trevor Hewett Architects also made a presentation about the Market Hall project.

More Information

This project has been kindly sponsored by:

Pembridge is special not just because of its pastoral and unspoiled setting but also because of its rich heritage. The Parish is home to a large number of listed buildings and Pembridge village is located within a Conservation Area - so designated in 1974. The major landmarks and monuments are protected and conserved by the Pembridge Amenity Trust, a charity established to oversee the preservation of the Market Hall, the Bell Tower, Millennium Meadow and, more recently, to maintain the public rest room facilities in the visitor's car park.

The view from the detached Bell Tower

News: 1806 penny discovered under post of The Market Hall, Pembridge, Herefordshire.

Craftsmen working on the conservation of the Market Hall in Pembridge made a surprise discovery at the foot of the north east post. Like three other posts, decay had resulted in the need to remove the base of the post and replace it with new oak. When the decayed timber was removed a penny, dated 1806, was found embedded in the bottom of the post. This post stands on the original Market Cross stone base and the penny had obviously been placed by the workmen of the period to date their work. More.


Please note the design and text from this web site is © protected to RA-MS. All images and photographs are also © protected by their individual owners, thank you.